Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Black Friday



     Black Friday. It is the name that sends a chill to the hearts of most people. For those who lived under a rock, it is the time of the year where stores give discounts on certain products in order to draws the masses to buy gifts for Christmas. There have been stories of people fighting to the death over the Toy of the Year. There have been videos posted all over social media of people scrambling and having all fights over whatever they can get off of the store shelves. Bloodbaths for the brand new gaming console. There have been even stories of people discovering human feces from impatient people who decided that getting the Plasma TV that has been marked off 30% is more important than finding the bathroom.
     Anyway, I decided to take part in this year's Black Friday, on Thanksgiving Thursday. I drove to the nearest Target hoping that I would make it in time to get what I wanted. I managed to get there a few minutes before Target opened. I found my self walking behind a long line of people waiting to enter the store. I happened to hear conversations of people telling their stories of other stores that they went to during their Black Fridays and what they would do when it comes down to someone taking their stuff. After suffering in the cold for a while,  Target decided to open the door and everybody rushed in. I grabbed myself a cart and rushed to the electronics to get some games and a 3DS. There, I saw a crowd of people grabbing TVs like crazy. I stood next to the Nintendo section until someone was able to unlock it and to make sure nobody cut in line and snatch up all of the 3DSs before I got one. After I got my stuff, I braved through the crowds to get some gifts for the rest of my family. I managed to get some DVDs for my mom, her boyfriend, and my sister. I went back to the games section to get my little sister something. As I was going back, I could still see crowds and crowds of people snatching up crap from the shelves. I made it to the checkout without having to wait in a large crowd and made it outside.
     On my way home, I was relieved that I didn't have to fight anyone or see any fights, but I was let down for those same reasons. I would have to say that the mob of people I was with had to be the most polite and ordered mob of Black Friday shoppers ever. I never saw anyone snatching something from somebody else, no fighting, not even an example of rudeness. Have we over exaggerated things a bit? Have we created all of this hype trying to make monsters of ourselves that we've made a monster out of Black Friday? Probably not, this was probably one example of how humanity isn't really as fucked up as you think. Anyway, what was your Black Friday experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment